Meagan Musing: Parenting Books

Meagan Musing

4/13/2011

Parenting Books

IMG_4222_Edit1

I'm currently reading five books on parenting. All this information is a little overwhelming, but I'm hoping maybe if I take in little bits from everything I'll get it right.

It's not like Andrew seems to be particularly hard to parent. In fact, I think he's pretty laid-back as far as 2-year-old boys go, but I have this great fear of totally messing things up and more information will surely help this, right?

Our biggest issue right now is getting him to do things we need him to do. Like get dressed, eat dinner, get in the bathtub, come inside after an afternoon playing in the backyard, go to sleep, STAY in bed.

He thinks it's funny now when he does something wrong, even though I immediately put him down/stop playing/interrupt dinner and take him to time out. He even says "Time out Mama!" as soon as he does something he knows he's not supposed to do.

So I think he gets it, it's just a matter of being consistent, firm and assertive.

I'll give y'all a rundown of the books when I've finished them all as I know there are lots of toddler mamas out there looking for more information.

But so far I'm happy with the ideas behind 1,2,3 Magic for Christian Parents, which I'm reading on my Kindle. And I think Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood is going to be really, really helpful.

My aunt gave me Wild Things: The Art of Nurturing Boys when Andrew was a baby and it's a great read for mamas of boys. I love that it tells you about their brain chemistry at different ages and stages and why they are doing certain things at certain times. It also spells out just how different boys are from girls even at birth and I just think that is so cool.

Most days I think I'm a pretty good mom. Andrew is happy and thriving. I think we're giving him what he needs, and he's going to turn out just fine. But then I'll read something about how absolutely key these first few years are to creating healthy, well-adjusted teens and adults and I get a little freaked out.

But I do the best I can, and pray a lot - for Andrew and this new baby girl and for Brian and me - that we're making the right decisions and doing the right things.

And then I get down on the floor and play with cars. Because that's what boy-mamas do.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • Great post! And don't worry, you and Brian are great parents and are giving Andrew just want he needs to grow up into a fine, young man!

    Mary Ann

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At April 13, 2011 at 1:46:00 PM CDT  

  • Hi! I'm a new follower from TB - With a little boy and baby sister on the way! I just put some of these books on my request list from the library. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

    By Blogger Jen, At April 13, 2011 at 2:15:00 PM CDT  

  • I think we all fear that we will mess up our children. I've read a few parenting books, but try to figure out how to apply what I've read to MY son and his situation and lifestyle. I think that praying and the willingness to bring your child up in God's image, is the BEST that any parent can do. :)

    By Blogger Courtney K., At April 14, 2011 at 12:26:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home