Meagan Musing: A New Day

Meagan Musing

7/19/2012

A New Day

Yesterday was a really tough mothering day around here. Thankfully, even one day removed it doesn't seem as bad as it did last night when I finally crawled in to bed, but still. Ugh.

We all woke up grouchy. Caroline is back to waking up twice a night, and both kids were up earlier than normal so I was tired, and I couldn't get my Keurig to brew my iced coffee. I was hoping for a do-over by 8AM.

And, oh my word, Andrew has run head first into the back-talk sassy attitude phase and it totally caught me off guard.

I needed a warning or something. And an instruction manual.

WEB_IMG_6558_Edit1

And he's really so sweet and funny most of the time, so when he's not it's really hard on me.

WEB_IMG_6560

I feel like surely I'm affecting this behavior - is he needing more attention? More freedom? More boundaries? More activities? More structure?

I have no idea!

I know I went to bed last night feeling like I'd totally failed as a mother that day.

But today was an all new day.

New attitudes, more grace, more patience.

And today we thrived.

WEB_IMG_6514

He sat in his chair while we ate breakfast and dinner. When he asked for another cookie, and I said no, he said okay. Whoa. He was sweet and loving with his sister and his cousin.

He still had his moments, but his overall attitude was a million times better.

But so was mine.

I'm the grown-up here. I can't expect him to have a positive happy attitude if I'm grumbling and grouching all day.

Just my mood, the way I choose to face my day, has such a major impact on these two little ones who trust me with their whole hearts.

What an awesome responsibility this motherhood thing is.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home