Meagan Musing: Taken Down by the Boots

Meagan Musing

2/20/2008

Taken Down by the Boots

Sunday is the day for the great Grocery Store Run. And, oh, it wears me out. I just hate going to the store. I'm pretty sure this a genetic thing, too, because Mom also hates grocery shopping. I'm sure she passed this gene right on to me.

(And yes, I really dread the day I have to go to the store with children.)

Last Sunday was Brian's birthday. He spent the afternoon at Guitar Center, and I had every intention of heading to Tom Thumb. Somehow, though, I ended up spending a small part of my afternoon in the laundry room and the rest of the day laying on the sofa watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 2 on DVD. It was a most enjoyable day.

But that meant I still needed to go to the grocery store on Monday. I didn't make it that day either. I'm sure I had a great reason for not going on my way home from work. I just can't think of it right now.

We had to have Potbelly's sandwiches for dinner Monday, which are just wonderful by the way.

That meant that Tuesday, I absolutely, positively had to go to the store or we'd be out of granola bars. And running out of granola bars in our house is a big no-no. So I gathered up my list, my reusable grocery sacks and my courage and headed to Tom Thumb.

I was doing so well. The produce was fresh! They even had basil! They weren't out of granola bars! I had to double back for coffee, but I was finished. I was on my way to the check out.

And then, my ankle gave out on me. I am not kidding when I say I almost fell over in the middle of the cereal isle. If I hadn't had that grocery cart to catch myself I can guarantee you I'd have been face down on the floor. I hobbled over to the check out lane holding on to my cart for dear life.

Now I have to tell you, I was wearing my cute, tall black boots. This is my second or third season in the boots so it's not like my feet aren't used to them by now. But something must have gone terribly wrong yesterday. By the time I'd checked out and made it all the way to my car, I knew I couldn't keep those boots on for one second longer.

I drove home in my socks. And then I carried in my groceries in my socks. Brian was a little worried. "Really, you do puzzles and you can twist your ankle at the grocery store? How old are you again?"

I was a little leery of putting on heels again today, but I decided I had to go with them, just something a little shorter than the boots. I have the hardest time not wearing heels to work. My vanity wins out every time. But the ankle seems to be doing much better today.

And I'm certainly NOT going back to the grocery store this week.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Can you hear me laughing?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At February 22, 2008 at 10:47:00 PM CST  

  • I'll be your lawn-mowing hero if you be my grocery-store hero! We can both be Guitar Hero! Isn't life swell.

    You know I would go to the grocery store anytime you want but I always bring home mystery products...maybe that's why you don't ask too often...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 24, 2008 at 12:54:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home