Meagan Musing: Perspective

Meagan Musing

1/08/2012

Perspective

Caroline is sick...again.

WEB_IMG_1986_Edit1

Poor, poor baby has been to see the doctor more times in her short four months than Andrew has in his almost three years.

This week, it's a terrible cough, stuffy nose and her first ear infection.

The ear infection showed up about a week after she got sick with the cold. She woke up crying and wailing a few hours after bed Friday night and then kept it up all night long.

One of the things I like the best about nursing is that it's almost always a fool-proof way to soothe a sad baby. But not a baby with an ear infection. Poor girl wouldn't nurse, couldn't sleep. She was just the saddest thing.

So Caroline's currently on an antibiotic for the ear infection, an antibiotic to help prevent another UTI because she has kidney reflux, tylenol to help with the ear infection pain, an abuterol inhaler to help with her horrendous, conjested cough and Hylands teething tablets because she cut two teeth this week.

I've been feeling so sad for her, but also so thankful. I know that all these things will clear up. The ear infection will be gone within the week and the cold should run its course in another ten days or so. She'll most likely even outgrow the kidney reflux.

WEB_IMG_2118_Edit1

Dealing with all this sickness has really given me some perspective. We are so very, very blessed to have these relatively healthy and happy children.

So many families deal with really sick kids who won't get better soon. Many children don't even have access to medicine to make them feel better and recover quickly.

So this week, rather than feel sorry for my baby and Brian and myself that we have to deal with all this medicine and breathing treatments and the snot, I'm choosing to be thankful. Thankful that my baby is so happy most of the time. Thankful that she'll be better soon. Thankful that I have the ability to make her more comfortable even when she is sick.

We really are so, so blessed.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • I have thought the same thing at times. There is nothing harder than caring for my bubs when he is sick, and it has made me realize that moms of kids with chronic illnesses must be part super hero! Saying an extra prayer for all of those mamas, as well as little Caroline tonight :)

    By Blogger Unknown, At January 8, 2012 at 9:20:00 PM CST  

  • Aww, poor little cute thing! :-(

    I hate it when my boys are sick too, my oldest usually gets really high fever and when he does he throws up so it´s really hard to get fluid into him (which ne needs so bad due to the fever). Luckily, it happens less now when he´s older.

    Hope she gets better soon - love those eyes!

    By Blogger tinajo, At January 9, 2012 at 5:28:00 AM CST  

  • That's so true. It's hard to watch them but we are very blessed indeed. Hope Caroline feels better soon.

    By Blogger Colleen, At January 9, 2012 at 8:33:00 AM CST  

  • We've been on and off battling with a bad flu/cold for baby J also. Its so sad to see your baby hurting...its really heartbreaking for me. And I agree with you on being thankful because others deal with much worse, but I'm not sure that makes the reality that "our" little one is in pain any better, at least for me.

    By Anonymous ana {bluebirdkisses}, At January 9, 2012 at 12:44:00 PM CST  

  • I always try to look at it that way too whenever my kids are sick. I'm so very blessed to have 3 healthy kids.

    A friend of mine just found out her newborn has issues with his thyroid levels which could ultimately effect his overall development unless they start him on medicine now. All this to say, it makes me even more thankful.

    And that girl of yours? Gorgeous. :)

    By Blogger Unknown, At January 13, 2012 at 1:36:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home