Meagan Musing: Simplifying My Life

Meagan Musing

2/20/2012

Simplifying My Life

For months I've been feeling unbelievably disorganized, rushed and generally like I just can't get caught up. I haven't been on a good schedule, and I think our days and my home reflect this.

So on a complete whim late Thursday night I bought Tsh Oxenreider's book Organized Simplicity on my iPad, and I read the whole thing this weekend.

IMG_1936
It was just what I needed to kick me in to gear.

I have a plan!

She introduces what she calls a Home Management Notebook and I think this is just what I need. She suggests sections for a daily to-do list, weekly cleaning and organizing schedules, monthly calendars, budget/bills, grocery lists, gift lists, work/blog ideas and activities for the kids.

How great will it be to have all this stuff in one central spot rather than spread out all over my house?

I'm really looking forward to adding some structure to my day with a daily to-do list and routine. I think we're all going to benefit.

The second half of the book focuses on simplifying and organizing your house.

Yes, please!

Our cabinets are full, our closets are full, our drawers are full. I hate it. I feel like I lose stuff and waste time looking for things. I am in serious purge mode.

It may have been this photo from the February photo challenge on Instagram that got me going.

This...was my closet last week:

IMG_1849

And now it looks like this:

ClosetTrip

It's still full, but oh it's so much better! I can see things and find what I'm looking for. I found cute new shoes I didn't even know I had.

And my makeup drawer:

MakeupDrawer

This weekend I threw out three bags of trash between my closet, under sink cabinet and my makeup drawer.

I have big plans to clean out this house over the next few weeks. I will take back my space and enjoy what I have rather than resent all this crap that is taking over my closets...I feel really strongly about this.

I hope to update you here on the blog as I make progress. I need y'all to keep me accountable.

So, who wants to join me? I know I'm not the only one with too much stuff!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

  • Hi, there!
    So I was blog hopping and I bumped into your page. The mess revamp is pretty much inspirational! I think I needed a push too, and there I have it. Thanks for sharing this :)

    P.s- Loving the photos here!
    -Nil.
    www.meetnil.blogspot.com

    By Blogger nil, At February 21, 2012 at 1:23:00 AM CST  

  • Gosh girl you have alot of clothes!!! I need a little inspiration too! I definitely have areas in my home that overwhelm me. I do much better when things are in order and there is less clutter.

    By Blogger Colleen, At February 21, 2012 at 7:43:00 AM CST  

  • I love organizing.. I do it a lot. It makes me feel so much better and it gives me that power.. that I am in control and not my clutter. I always take a day at a time and just clean out random places. Drawers, pantry, etc. It always amazes me how much things get so out of hand. Great start!

    By Blogger Jamie Kubeczka, At February 21, 2012 at 8:18:00 AM CST  

  • great post! I think i need that book. You don't want to see my closet, its terrible :( I can barely walk in. Are you going to put the list on your ipad? or iphone? that seems like something i could definitely do

    By Anonymous ana {bluebirdkisses}, At February 21, 2012 at 9:38:00 AM CST  

  • I have this downloaded and need to actually read it, lol. I would suggest the devotion book Abundant Simplicity, too... ah-maz-ing!! I just did a big purge around here, and now my brain feels less cluttered ;)

    By Blogger Unknown, At February 21, 2012 at 9:59:00 AM CST  

  • My closet needs an overhaul like this! I do my best to go through it twice a year, but it's amazing how quickly it becomes a cluttered mess again.

    I agree with others, your pictures are great. I'm saving my pennies for a DSLR and you've inspired me to get my paws on one sooner rather than later.

    I'm just getting started over here at www.midwestmisses.blogspot.com and hope you'll join me! Love sharing ideas and photos, and having a fun following will keep me going :)

    Thanks again for your inspiration!

    By Blogger Midwest Misses, At February 21, 2012 at 10:27:00 AM CST  

  • Wow! You made a lot of progress!

    By Blogger Patrice, At February 21, 2012 at 4:53:00 PM CST  

  • I'm sick of not being able to find things so decided to divide all my rainy day organizing projects into manageable one week tasks. So far I'm proud to say I'm doing pretty well.

    Last weeks results below...

    http://seeingthetreesfortheforest.blogspot.com/2012/02/week-7-project-kitchen-drawers.html

    By Blogger Liz Slater, At February 22, 2012 at 5:15:00 PM CST  

  • I was in clean out mode last month, feel so good to rid of stuff. I got rid of things I hadn't TOUCHED since we moved into this house in July '09. Crazy, I know.

    Your closet looks great - good work, girl!!

    p.s. I went to high school with Tsh. Crazy, huh? ;)

    By Blogger Unknown, At February 23, 2012 at 9:27:00 AM CST  

  • i made a menu for two weeks ahead and pretty much felt like queen of the world. i TOTALLY get feeling behind ALL THE TIME. good luck getting organized!!!

    By Blogger Sarah- Little Ark Photography, At February 28, 2012 at 3:12:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home