Meagan Musing: Lately

Meagan Musing

9/08/2011

Lately

I'm so surprised when I realize that Caroline has only been home with us for 3 weeks. It seems like she's been a part of our little family for a lot longer than that. While we're still in the adjusting phase, I definitely feel like I'm getting in to a good groove and gaining some confidence as a mom to two.

I think Andrew has certainly had the hardest time with the transition.

I had been afraid that he might be mad at me or not want to have anything to do with me once the new baby came, but he's responded in the exact opposite way. About 10 times a day he says, "I want you!!". He's been very clingy, but I've been trying to indulge him a bit to help him get over this hump. Some days I think when will we get back to normal?, but then I realize that this is our new normal.

And while I'm sure that Andrew will someday love his little sister dearly, and he's super sweet with her already, I think right now he'd be perfectly happy for us to go back to the old normal.

My favorite part of being a second time mom?

I'm not constantly worried about creating bad habits or messing something up or wondering when things will get easier. I'm just enjoying today. I now know how truly fast this time goes - she will only be tiny and still for a very, very short period of time. I'm not very worried about putting her down as soon as she falls asleep or trying to get her on a schedule. In fact, those few quiet minutes after she eats and then falls asleep in my arms are some of the sweetest and happiest of my day.

My biggest concern about being a mom to two?

Getting Andrew and Caroline in and out of the car without Andrew running away. Seriously, how do y'all keep your 2.5 year old boys by your side? So far I've only taken them both to Andrew's Mother's Day Out and swimming lessons. I do okay if I have her in the stroller because then I can hold Andrew's hand pretty much the whole time. But if I'm carrying her in her carseat or on her own it's hard to hold on to Andrew too and I'm constantly afraid he'll run off in a parking lot. Please tell me I'm not the only one who has this issue...

And now, here are a few pictures from our last week:

First day of Mother's Day Out:

WEB_IMG_7937_Edit1
He totally picked this spot and posed for me. Ha!

My boys at the pool on Labor Day:

WEB_IMG_8044_Edit1

Smiley, sleepy baby on Labor Day:

WEB_IMG_8048_Edit1

Her first dress that fits!:

WEB_IMG_8064_Edit1

Oh, I am so blessed.

Photobucket
{Linking up for Back to School}

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

  • oh my goodness - such beautiful pics of your little ones. I am cracking up at A posing for you. Too cute.

    Yeah, it can be a challenge. I would often put the little man in his stroller first and then get his sister. You'll get there : )

    By Blogger Colleen, At September 8, 2011 at 10:00:00 AM CDT  

  • Oh my goodness....look at how sweet she is! Aw, so precious.

    By Blogger Tara, At September 8, 2011 at 10:11:00 AM CDT  

  • Look at that precious baby and her sweet big brother! And I always made a little impromptu corral for my older kids with my legs and the wheel well of the side of car the baby was on. (It didn't do my back any favors, but it was worth it for my sanity.) I even made them each keep one hand on the car at all times. It's a tricky, tricky balancing act!

    By Anonymous Stacia, At September 8, 2011 at 10:37:00 AM CDT  

  • she's so adorable - and in no time at all - they will be best buds!

    By Blogger tiarastantrums, At September 8, 2011 at 11:01:00 AM CDT  

  • What a beautiful family! I have three boys, and they do like running. My six year old still does it, but they do grow out of it eventually.

    By Blogger Unknown, At September 8, 2011 at 11:59:00 AM CDT  

  • Oh Meagan! She is so beautiful!! You really are so beyond blessed. :) I don't have any words of wisdom for you when it comes to holding onto Andrew in the parking lot. I only have one and it's a challenge when I go buy groceries or something. LOL

    By Blogger Courtney K., At September 8, 2011 at 12:00:00 PM CDT  

  • Great photos. Love that first one and her smiling. Adorable!! He will be a wonderful big brother.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At September 8, 2011 at 12:04:00 PM CDT  

  • If I get him out before I go get the carseat out, I make Gavin hug my leg so I can feel him at all times. Even in places that it's not necessary (like our driveway or garage) I make him do it so it's just the norm for him. She's a doll!

    By Blogger Jen, At September 8, 2011 at 12:19:00 PM CDT  

  • Truly beautiful photos!

    By Blogger Stillmary, At September 8, 2011 at 12:38:00 PM CDT  

  • Your son is just so gorgeous! I mean that in a totally boy way too. :) And the baby girl, well, almost makes me want more babies!! I adore your photos, as always Meagan.

    As far as the running off? My only tip is when getting out, get her out first and make sure he's still strapped in (unless he can unstrap himself). Otherwise, I sympathize because I have a "runner" and he's scared the you-know-what out of me several times!

    By Blogger Unknown, At September 8, 2011 at 2:29:00 PM CDT  

  • Andrew is such a doll! And the baby pics...swoon!...I need a baby fix!

    By Blogger Andrea, At September 8, 2011 at 2:37:00 PM CDT  

  • her smile! how great is that?

    being a second time mom- i hear ya! i had henry sleep in our bed for the first two months, because i regretted freaking out about it with benjy. i was just so afraid that benjy would NEVER SLEEP ON HIS OWN if he EVER slept with us. i'm so glad i could go with the flow more with henry.

    maybe if you ask andrew to "help" with the baby when you're getting in and out of the car, he'll be sure to stay by your side?

    By Blogger Sarah- Little Ark Photography, At September 9, 2011 at 6:52:00 AM CDT  

  • Very blessed,indeed. :-)

    By Blogger Coneflower Ranch, At September 9, 2011 at 5:17:00 PM CDT  

  • Can your children get any cuter?!! And really you are so talented. Your photography is beautiful.

    By Blogger deb duty, At September 10, 2011 at 9:09:00 PM CDT  

  • I just came across your blog and I love how real you are! This post was especially real for me {although I am only a mom of 1 for now}. I tried not to worry too much with baby J either...that's why now when he won't sleep through the night I don't stress, I just enjoy the time that he wants to spend with me, because I'm afraid that one day he won't wake up at 2 am...and won't want me.

    By Anonymous ana {bluebirdkisses}, At September 15, 2011 at 1:08:00 PM CDT  

  • Such a sweet family!

    Meagan, do you have a big brother board for your stroller? That might make things easier. Many manufacturers make ones specifically for their strollers, but this is a universal option:
    http://www.amazon.com/Lascal-KiddyBoard-Maxi-Stroller-Attachment/dp/B000QY6KWM

    I worry about keeping hold of both girls going to / from the car and often put at least one in the terrible backpack leashes. I hate the whole idea of them but safety comes first (sometimes). Luckily, the girls don't mind since they look like soft animals, a sparkly unicorn and pink poodle. They are $10 at Target and could be an easy solution until your confidence is up. Hang in there!

    By Blogger Mary Marshall Smith, At September 18, 2011 at 7:34:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home