Meagan Musing: Simplifying - My Pantry

Meagan Musing

4/12/2012

Simplifying - My Pantry

I've been totally MIA from the blog and Twitter this week because I've been obsessed with organizing ALL THE THINGS.

It's a little insane.

Or maybe I'm a little insane. But remember my simplify my life plan?

I'm working through it, making progress.

One of the first projects I tackled was my pantry. Oh my word, this has made such a huge difference in my life.

My pantry looked like this for months and months:

PantryBefore copy

I couldn't find anything. I really dreaded going to the store because I knew I'd have to put my food away when I got home, and where would it go???

I bought lots of things that I didn't need because I didn't know I already had it.

I love the random Easter basket from LAST YEAR! on the floor. And Andrew's Halloween candy was still up there in his jack-o-lantern. I have a hard time letting go of holidays. :)

There were jars about to fall off the shelves and tons of stuff that just didn't belong in the pantry - my command hooks, to-go coffee cups and all our childproofing supplies.

So I took every single thing out of my pantry. Well, almost everything.

PantryMiddle2

And put it all in my dining room:

PantryMiddle

Bwahahaha!

Why do I have that much food?? Why do I have dog treats from four years ago?? Why do I have THREE bottles of white vinegar? What am I going to do with it all??

My plan of attack:

  • Throw away all the old, expired food. There was surprisingly little old food so I didn't waste too much.
  • Move everything out that didn't belong there.
  • Group like items: baking, snacks, dressings and condiments, cereals, paper goods, etc.
  • Use baskets and containers!

And afterward, my pantry looked like this:

PantryAfter

I know it's still full, but it's so much better! And it's actually a little better today as we've eaten through some of those cans of soup and diced tomatoes.

The baskets helped so much. I love those wire baskets that are corralling my baby food and snacks, and all the baking ingredients.

I thought about buying containers for all the snacks, but I decided to be realistic. I'm probably not going to empty all my boxes into containers after every shopping trip.

But I still know where new food will go when I'm putting away groceries. I know what I already have so I don't need to buy more until I'm almost out.

And I'm buying way less food. I'm being more deliberate in my purchases, not buying it unless I really think we need it and will eat it soon-ish. I don't want it taking up space in my tidy pantry!

It's really amazing what a difference a clean pantry can make.

I love it so much.

Are you working on any cleaning and organizing projects? I'd love to see! I'm always looking for inspiration!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • So much better, some times you need to take it all out and start again :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At April 13, 2012 at 4:01:00 AM CDT  

  • What a great place to start! I usually start in the kitchen, too. I do "pantry" (I have lots of cupboards but no real pantry) challenges every so often where I menu plan to clean it out. And I do empty individually wrapped snacks into clear tubs because it is easier to see what you really need more of, and takes up less space too. Can't wait to see more of your progress! I am inspired already! :)

    By Blogger Unknown, At April 13, 2012 at 7:05:00 AM CDT  

  • Wow girl, that's alot of food!!! ha!!! I am jealous of all that space. We have a closet for ours. That must have taken you forever!! I like that you emptied the whole thing to start. I agree - it is inspiring. I've got nothing lately but I do have a gift wrap organization thing I am working on. LOL. I seem to have alot of that so I have something up my sleeve for that!!

    By Blogger Colleen, At April 13, 2012 at 7:49:00 AM CDT  

  • wow great job mama! that's quite the accomplishment. I love how you used the little turn trays!

    By Anonymous ana {bluebirdkisses}, At April 13, 2012 at 9:17:00 AM CDT  

  • WOW!! Looks great and I love your pantry.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At April 14, 2012 at 7:09:00 AM CDT  

  • Nice job! Great space you have. I just did this with my closet and it was much more depressing as it was just tossing/giving away a bunch of clothes I'll never fit back into. Bye-bye high school jeans! ;)

    By Blogger Christine Lauria, At April 16, 2012 at 8:13:00 PM CDT  

  • holy cannoli nice work!! i used to work at the container store and let me tell you, this post made organizer fiends everywhere very very proud!!

    By Blogger di Palermo Body, At April 19, 2012 at 11:01:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home