Meagan Musing: My Nana

Meagan Musing

6/29/2011

My Nana

We lost my dearly loved Nana last night. My mom was with her and she slipped away very peacefully in her sleep. She would have been 80 in August.

I so wish I were a better writer so I could do her justice here in this space, but I'll try my best.

WEB_IMG_3621_Edit1

She was the most fun grandmother anyone could ask for. She loved her family fiercely and there was nothing she enjoyed more than to gather us all together and cook for us. She loved her husband, our Pop, more than anything in the world. We were worried she'd never get over losing him nine years ago, but the last few years she was able to really enjoy her single life, even if she still missed him every day.

She loved all levels of basketball, but mostly she loved the Dallas Mavericks. She and Pop would actually listen to Mavericks games on the radio back when they were terrible and only won 12 games a season. I'm so happy she lived long enough to see them win the championship.

Not too long after Pop died we took her to a Mavericks game and sat very close to the court. Mom had worked it out so that she could meet Don Nelson down on the court before the game and, oh, she was so surprised and so happy. He was quite the basketball hero to her. She even made a sign to wave that said she would like to be Michael Finley's grandmother. :)

WEB_IMG_4114_Edit1
{This was her Facebook profile photo. She was so hip!}


When I was eight and my sister was five, she and my Pop took us and my cousins who were 12 and 14 to Disney World for a week. We drove all the way from Oklahoma to Florida in their motor home and I'd never had more fun!

That trip will always be so special to us and I know it was for them, too.

I could tell lots and lots of stories. I will always remember how fun and silly she could be. Growing up, trips to Nana's house always meant staying up late to play games. We girls could play and laugh until two o'clock in the morning.

WEB_IMG_1109_Edit1

Nana moved out of her house several years ago to be closer to my mom, but that house will always be Nana's house to me.

Everyone who knew her enjoyed her; she was an amazing friend and loved by so, so many.

She lived a full, happy blessed life and I'm thrilled we had as many wonderful, healthy years with her as we did. It is so comforting to know she's in heaven now, reunited with Pop.

Edited to Add: I just found out she will be buried on Saturday, July 2, next to Pop on what would have been their 62nd wedding anniversary. So very fitting for such a loving couple.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home