Meagan Musing: Computer Crash

Meagan Musing

6/12/2011

Computer Crash

I have no pictures to add to this post. My laptop with all my photos and Photoshop and Lightroom is at Geek Squad and has been since Friday.

See, Friday afternoon Andrew was upstairs taking a nap and I was reading blogs and generally having a nice quiet afternoon

when this big scary warning popped up on my computer.

DRIVE FAILURE
The system has detected a problem with one or more installed hard disks. It is recommended that you restart the program.

Then all of my program icons on my desktop started disappearing and my browser shut down.

And then my heart started racing, and I thought I was going to have a full-blown panic attack.

My next message said
Windows was unable to save all the data. The data has been lost.

*Panic*

Now this wouldn't be the absolute end of the world if I'd been better about backing up my files and most importantly my photos. But I've been terrible about doing it. I seriously don't have another copy of anything I've done since March.

I do NOT recommend this approach.

Since Andrew wasn't really sleeping I got him up, threw some snacks at him, packed up my laptop and we went directly to Best Buy.

The Geek Squad guy was sure it was just a bad virus and not some kind of great hard drive crash. I can't tell you how relieved I was. He laughed. I guess people aren't usually relieved to hear that they have a bad virus and it will cost them $200 to get it removed.

But having hidden files is a whole lot better than having no files.

So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get good news from Geek Squad tomorrow and I'll be able to get back to my pictures.

I miss them. :(

I also miss Brian. He has been out of town since Wednesday morning and is finally coming home tonight. I'm so excited. This solo parenting business is for the birds.

Which reminds me that I have to tell you the bird story from Saturday morning - later this week, for sure.

I hope you all have safe happy computers and husbands at home! :)

P.S. What do you do for picture backup? Do you have big external hard drives? Anyone use "the cloud"?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • Oh, Meagan, I'm so sorry! I know how that can be. Since my disaster when I lost lots of documents when my motherboard died, before I got into photography, I backup on an external hard drive, carbonite, and of course I put my favorites on flickr. Hope all can be saved!

    By Blogger Coneflower Ranch, At June 12, 2011 at 5:40:00 PM CDT  

  • Oh no!! :( That's the WORST feeling!! So, so sorry! I use CD's to back up my photos, but I also have them all on Facebook, so if something terrible were to happen, I could load them from there. I hope they get it fixed, and SOON!!

    By Blogger Courtney K., At June 12, 2011 at 7:23:00 PM CDT  

  • I hope you get all your photos back soon! After reading a few stories of people losing their photos, I am very careful about backing up. I don't delete photos from the card until I have them backed up in two other places. I backup to two external hard drives and I upload my edited photos on my smugmug account. If you want to check out smugmug, my page is at debduty.smugmug.com. If you decide to join you can use my code or email address for a discount.

    By Blogger deb duty, At June 13, 2011 at 9:20:00 AM CDT  

  • Yikes! That IS scary! I hope they can recover them all for you! After I edit my photos, I generally upload them to my picassa web account. If you don't have one, it's free up to 1 GB and then $5 more for 20 GB.

    Good luck! :)

    By Blogger Sandra, At June 13, 2011 at 10:50:00 PM CDT  

  • Oh no! I'm glad you'll probably be able to recover them. I'm soooo bad about backing up my pics. Hope it all turns out okay!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At June 14, 2011 at 1:35:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home