Meagan Musing: To Ski or Not to Ski

Meagan Musing

11/08/2007

To Ski or Not to Ski

Brian loves to ski. He grew up with his family taking ski vacations on a pretty regular basis. Me, not so much. I grew up going on great sight-seeing vacations to the Great State of Texas, New England and Washington D.C. We even threw in a few trips to Disney Word. But I only went skiing once, and it wasn't even with my family. Kelsey was with me, and I think she had a good time, but I was mis-er-a-ble! It was cold, and then the sun was out, and I wasn't wearing any sunscreen. My face was so sunburned that the skin on my nose could be pushed in, and it would stick down like when you push in the nose on a stuffed animal. I still have the scars.

But the worst part was the COLD! I have a bit of a circulation problem, and when I get too cold my fingers and toes lose all their blood and turn a freakish white color. Then they get sore and achy and my fingers get lovely little knots on them. Sounds like fun huh?

So imagine how thrilled I was to find out that one of Brian's best friends is getting married in Colorado over the New Year. We've been talking about it for months. Should we just go to the wedding? Should we stay and ski? But Brian doesn't want to ski by himself. And it wouldn't be any fun even if I tried to ski with him because we'd have to hang out on the bunny slopes. I'm not even sure I could get up the nerve to sit on the chair and ride up the mountain wearing skis on my feet.

Then Brian's friends decided, yes, they're all going to stay after the wedding and ski. So that solved the problem of Brian skiing by himself. I thought about flying home right after the wedding, but Brian didn't want to stay without me. That would mean we'd be without each other on New Year's Eve and we didn't want to do that. Plus, it really wouldn't be very fun for Brian to vacation without me!

So we decided we'd go together, and I'd find a nice spa, a good book, a fireplace and some coffee and settle in for three relaxing days in the mountains and Brian could ski 'till his heart's content. Sounds nice to me! We got it all booked today. Mom even said they could watch Fenway for us! (Won't they have fun)?

I was telling my new female co-worker this story today and she had a look of astonishment on her face. She was really impressed that Brian and I were able to compromise and work together so easily. You know, I hadn't even thought of it that way. But it made me so happy! Brian and I do work really well together. I don't want him to miss out on skiing forever just because I don't like to do it. And he thinks I totally deserve a day (or two) at the spa.

I'm so blessed to have a wonderful husband who wants to spend time with me even on a frozen mountain! And this means I get to go shopping! I really need a new winter coat and pretty gloves, maybe a hat....

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Love the new format - great background color. And even happier you are posting regularly. I am so pleased you and Brian are good at compromising. It's probably at the top of happy marriage skills. I might prefer spending a few days at a spa with you to puppy sitting! Just kidding. Love, Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At November 9, 2007 at 10:29:00 AM CST  

  • Sorry to have totally ruined skiing for you! Well, me and your Reinods (sp?) Syndrome :) Sounds like you will each have fun on your trip! Thanks for posting on my blog. Didn't know yours was out here. Have a good one!~

    By Blogger Emily, Aaron, Caleb, and Harper, At November 13, 2007 at 10:36:00 PM CST  

  • Meagan, As exciting as a day at the spa sounds (wow!) nobody should have to do without skiing. Gerbings.com has battery-operated gloves and socks. I have their electric gloves on my bike and if the battery-operated comes close to being as warm and comfy as the electric, you'd love them.
    We're planning a spring-season trip. You can try them out with Brian and use them for real on a spring trip with us.
    Nice blog, btw. And good pix of Fenway P Skarbeck and family.
    Bill

    By Blogger Bill, At November 26, 2007 at 2:14:00 PM CST  

  • Meagan,

    Your such a trouper! Thanks for going in the first place. Did you know they have sledding at most ski resorts? Maybe you can bear the cold for a couple trips down the mountain with me on a tube. :-)
    I think of one way to warm you up...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At December 1, 2007 at 2:13:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home